This site has been updated with an extension of the input data record. Moreover, minor changes and improvements have been made:
- The input data record has been extended from 2015 to 2022.
- Climatology for the latest WMO's climate periode (1991-2020) has been calculated and added to ease comparison with other climatological products.
- The statistical significance of trends has been re-calculated, due to errors in the previous version.
- Plots and maps have been made bigger to show more details.
- The statistics for the past 10 years has been removed, due to large statistical uncertainty.
More information of the applied data can be found here
. The previous version of the climatology is still available here
This page presents links for data files containing the ice edge coordinates. Ice edges are presented as ice extent percentiles as seen on these maps and are calculated by considering the ensemble of daily ice extent within the same months across a period. An area is defined as sea ice if the ice concentration is larger than 30 %.
- Ice edge percentiles of each month in the full data set period (1979-2021):
- Ice edge percentiles of each month in the wmo standard climate period (1991-2020):
In order to document OSI-SAF's impact and enable ongoing support of OSI-SAF, you are obligated to acknowledge OSI-SAF in your work. Therefore, if you wish to use any material presented here please read this file.
This page is a result of the sea ice concentration climatology. To download a summary data set climatology click here.